Virtual Private Network (VPN) Using OpenVPN
Because details of VPN configuration vary between distributions, only general configuration specific details are presented here. Also, in order to use VPN, you will need a VPN account. You can you can create your VPN account with our self-serve VPN account registration (this can also be used to get your VPN password if you have forgotten it).
VPN server: ovpn.cs.toronto.edu
Typical client configuration settings:
remote ovpn.cs.toronto.edu 1194
Our OpenVPN server uses only password authentication, but you will still need the server certificate. You can obtain it here (right click and save as, or else your browser may attempt to import it): ca.crt Certificate
We have had success with the free OpenVPN client from http://openvpn.net/ for Windows, and various linux OpenVPN clients that are included in the distributions.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) Using OpenVPN and Tunnelblick
The Tunnelblick client is recommended for using OpenVPN on Macs.
- Unzip Tunnelblick VPN Config.tblk.zip in a folder called 'Tunnelblick Vpn Config.tblk'. It contains a configuration file and an authentication certificate.
- Download the correct version of Tunnelblick for your OSX system from https://tunnelblick.net/
Double-click on the file you downloaded to install Tunnelblick. During the installation you will be asked for the location of the configuration folder.
- Double-click 'Tunnelblick' icon in the installer
- Click Open when prompted about application downloaded from the internet
- Supply your laptop's username and password to install application and click OK
- In the 'installation succeeded' dialog box click Launch
- Click 'I have configuration files'
- Select 'Tunnelblick VPN Configurations'
- Click done in the 'Installing a Tunnelblick VPN Configuration' dialog box (because as the instructions state, you need to double-click the 'Tunnelblick Vpn Config.tblk' you downloaded above)
- Navigate to where you downloaded 'Tunnelblick Vpn Config.tblk' and double-click it.
- When prompted about for whom to install the configuration select either 'All users' or 'Only Me'. Supply your laptop's username and password and click OK.
- A dialog box will pop up telling you that the Tunnelblick installation was successful; click OK.
- To start the Tunnelblick VPN
- Click the Tunnelblick icon located in the top right corner of the finder toolbar
- Select Connect Tunnelblick VPN Config
- Supply your VPN username and password and click OK to connect. The Tunnelblick icon will start to shine brightly as if a train is coming towards you out of a tunnel.